- Award of the Silver Star – 7 February 1969 (PDF)
- Award of the Silver Star – 3 June 1969 (PDF)
- Award of the Distinguished Service Cross – 16 January 1967 (PDF)
- Award of the Distinguished Service Cross – 2 August 1969 (PDF)
- NAACP Roy Wilkins Renowned Service Award, 1991 (Life member NAACP).
- State Department Superior Honor Award, 1992 (principal negotiation team for the START II Nuclear Arms Control Treaty).
- Admitted to the Council on Foreign Relations, 1993.
- Admitted as an Associate Member of the Inter-American Dialogue, 1995.
- Norman E. Zinberg Award of the Harvard Medical School’s Division on Addictions, 1997.
- Founders Award, The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, 1997.
- VFW — Forty & Eight Annual Americanism Award, 1998.
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America — National Leadership Award, 1998.
- U.S. – Panama Business Council — Friendship Award, 1998.
- National Drug Prevention League — National Leadership Award, 1999.
- The National Association of Drug Court Professionals — Leadership Award, 1999.
- U.S. – Panama Business Council – Ambassador of Good Will Award, 1999.
- The American Methadone Treatment Association Friend of the Field Award, 2000.
- The Order of the Lion, Lions Club International, 2000.
- National Association of State Alcohol & Drug Abuse Directors — Leadership Award 2000.
- Southern Oregon Drug Awareness – Lyman Faulkner Award for Advocacy, 2000.
- The Federal Law Enforcement Foundation’s National Service Award, 2000.
- The Republica de Colombia, Orden de Boyaca Grado, Gran Cruz, 2000.
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America — Lifetime Achievement Award, 2000
- Central Intelligence Agency Great Seal Medallion, 2000.
- United States Coast Guard Distinguished Public Service Award, 2001.
- Health and Human Services Lifetime Achievement Award for Extraordinary Achievement in the Field of Substance Abuse Prevention, 2004.
- One of the 500 Most Influential People in American Foreign Policy by World Affairs Councils of America, 2004.
- James Cardinal Gibbons Medal (Highest Honor), Catholic University of America, 2004.
- Castle Memorial Award, West Point Society of the District of Columbia and National Capital Area, 2004.
- Outstanding Civilian Civil Service Medal, Department of Army, 2001- 2005 – as national security affairs professor at West Point.
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America — National Leadership Award, 2007.
- The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) “Golden Eagle” recognition, 2007.
- Ranger Hall of Fame; Ft. Benning, Georgia, 2007.
- American Red Cross — Lifetime of Achievement Award, 2008.
- Spirit of the Buffalo Soldier Award, Southwest Association of Buffalo Soldiers, 2008.
- W. Stuart Symington Award — given for the most significant contribution by a civilian in the field of national defense, Air Force Association, 2008.
- National Narcotics Officers’ Associations’ Coalition J Dennis Hastert Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009.
- The United States Military Academy Association of Graduates’ Distinguished Graduate Award, 2010.
- The Society of the 30th Infantry Regiment “Footsie” Britt Award, 2010.
- Government Security News Extraordinary Leadership & Service in Homeland Security Award, 2010.
- Honored by Room Dedication at The Thayer Hotel, West Point, NY, 2010.
- United States Army “Doughboy Award” for outstanding contribution to the United States Army Infantry, 2015.
HONORARY POSITIONS AND OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS
- Honorary Doctorate, Norwich University.
- Honorary Doctorate, Westminster College.
- Honorary Professor, Universidad Del Salvador-Argentina.
- Decorated by the governments of France, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, and Venezuela.Awards